Monday, October 4, 2010

State Fair Of Texas

Big Tex


Hubs enjoying the sporty cars

Fountains in International Area


Another muscle car
   I have been going to the fair since I was about three years old.  You do the math.  I only go now once about every third year.  The fair has a mixture of good and bad memories for me. The good outweigh the bad by a long shot. My kids riding the rides and eating all the fair food and laughing so much are the best memories for me. The bad one is when my son was around 11 years old we were waiting in line to get a corn dog when a ride malfunctioned and went off its rail and three teenagers died not ten feet from where we stood. I quickly covered my sons eyes with my hands , but that memory was burned into my brain forever. I being a mother, felt the pain for those unknown moms that were going to hear that terrible, unspeakable news that night long ago.

Many years later I still enjoy my occasional visit to the fair , but I don't go to the midway part of the fair grounds anymore. I go to the creative arts building and enjoy the photographers exhibitions and the beautiful handmade quilts and various crafts, and I always have to eat two "Fletchers" corn dogs, one nut bar ice cream and one frosty cold root beer before I go. Take my advice and skip the "fried beer" it was disgusting to say the least. (Hubs just had to try it)



No comments:

Post a Comment