Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Aging Gracefully



I've been doing a lot of thinking and praying and more thinking about aging.  I am currently 56 years old. 
 I'm not sure what I thought that would feel like or look like, but it is what it is. I have never done any "work" such as lipo or botox or whatever. I certainly don't sit in judgement of any woman who has chosen
 to do those things. The way I feel right now is that I want to grow old with grace and with my own sense of style. I currently color my hair my natural color of auburn. If I didnt color , it would be sprinkled with gray.
I told my family that after I retire from my job I am letting it go a la naturel' . My husband wasn't very happy with that , but it is my hair and that's what I want to do,
I am also overweight and have struggled with weight issues most of my adult life. I have been on every diet you can name, and yes I lost weight on most of them , but did not keep it off. At this time in my life I don't even want to try another diet or program. I dress nicely and style my hair and wear lovely jewelry so its not like I am a mess by any means. Would I love to be thin, of course I would, but there are things I am just not willing to do to get there. I am not willing to have surgery to lose weight or to starve myself. Every time I went the starve myself path I was beyond miserable. I am a comfort eater and compulsive eater. I love to cook and eat delicious food and am tired of feeling guilty for that choice. One thing I am loving about being an "older" woman is that I am caring less and less what others think of me or my life choices. I wish I had gotten that at a much younger age. It would have made life simplier and I am loving a more simple life.
I have so much to be thankful for. I am happily married to my best friend for 21 years now. I have a good job that I have been at for 32 years and counting , and three grown sons and three wonderful grandsons. I also have two beautiful black mini schaunzers "doggy daughters".I am looking forward to many happy times. I am looking forward to retirement in a few years and to traveling, exploring my photography and meeting new and interesting people.
Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment